Master Plan for development of the Port Fortaleza
The alternative for development and zoning of the Port of Fortaleza, presented below, seeks to serve the demand through improvement of the existing facilities with structural reform and deepening of several stretches of wharf for docking, also proposing a new layout, avoiding construction of new berths of terminals, preserving he areas along the sea wall, especially Praia Mansa, for uses other than serving cargo-transporting ships.
alternative, a zoning proposal is presented, wherein each one has its
own identify, with different characteristics of use and occupation, enabling
performance of new port operation or urban functions which may be attributed
to it, in harmony with the projections of future traffic and with standards
of technology appropriate to the fleets of ships which will frequent the
port over the next twenty years.
Development and zoning alternative
The port will require, in order to meet the projected flow of traffi, availability of two new terminals, in addition to facilities for serving maritime cruise ships, there being a need for greater depth for the traffic of containers and for exports of soy beans, being limited, nevertheless, to the 12.0m to 12.5m range.
In general terms, considering the physical conditions and the nees for serving projected demands, the DZP to proporsed for around the 2020 mark should include:
- One berth for internal port vessels and leisure/tourist boats, with depths of around 3.5m to 5.0m; A passanger terminal for cruise ships, with a depth of 8m;
- A special terminal for unloading of grain, wheath and maize ships;
- A multi-use terminal, with two berths with depth limited to 10m, to serve general cargo ships, containers and fertilizers and, eventually, exports of grain: with the construction of specialized terminals for containers and for export of grains, in new areas; these same two berths would be used for traffic of general cargo and fertilizers.
- Specialization in the handling of containers ina new terminal, with depths between 12.0m and 12.5m;
- One soy export terminal, whose characteristics will depend on the size of the ships used, the size of the shipment and the frequency and seasonalitu of loading;
- The petroleum pier will continue to handle liquid combustibles and raw materials for ash-felt factories and naphtenic lubricants, it being predicted that one of the berths will fall out of use, with the transfer of handling of combustibles to the Port of Pecém.
Investments to be made by the port authority
- Reinforcement of the wharf for deepening of the berths at the Grain Unloading Terminal to 10m and dredging for deepening of Multi Use Terminal 1 and for support of tracks for the grain un-loader at grain terminal;
- Rock-removal and dredging for deepning of the docking berth and the approach channel for the Grain Unloading Terminal to 10m and Dredging for deepening of Multi-Use Terminals 1 and 2 and 12,5m; and
- Transfer of equipment for unloading grains and conveyor belts from current berth 103 to Grain Unloading Terminal.
Investments to be made by port operators and leaseholders
- acquisition of 2 ( two ) mobile cranes with tires, with capacity for 100t;
- acquisition of reach stackers, semi-pickups and mechanicalhorses;
- acquisition of 1 ( one ) Container Gantry Cane;
- acquisition of RTG to transtainers with tires;
- construction of new warehouses in the rear area
- expansion of storage areas and reinforcement of Paving;
- reinforcement of the wharf ( curtan ) for deepening and support of tracks for gantry crane ( 30.5m gauge ) in Multi-Use Terminal 2; and
- construction of the Soy Bean Loading Terminal, including the facilities for the receipt, storage and docking, with their respective equipment.